Friday, October 9, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 9: Poor Woman's Tempeh Bacon






3930562108_f07c8dec17


I love tempeh bacon. I could probably eat my weight, and Kelly's weight, in tempeh bacon, in one sitting. And I would die happy.

I am also a busy girl. I work, I jog, and I volunteer, and sometimes I like to sleep and see my friends (preferably not at the same time) - so what's a girl to do when she wants tempeh bacon NAAAAOOOOOWWWWW?

When I want delicious tempeh bacon, I reach for the recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance. When I'm being a lazy asshole, I make Poor Woman's Tempeh Bacon.

Poor Man's Tempeh Bacon
Don't judge my filthy teakettle


I kind of wing this recipe, so you should feel free to not measure and splash away. It's done in less than 10 minutes.

Poor Woman's Tempeh Bacon

Cube or slice 8oz of tempeh into your desired shapes. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Brown tempeh for 4-5 minutes, flipping occasionally. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the following, to taste:

Soy sauce (or tamari)
Ketchup
Maple syrup

...and 1/4 tsp of liquid smoke, if you like it smokey.

Stir tempeh to coat and cook for a few minutes, depending on your desired level of sauciness.


I've used this recipe for quick BLTs, to top soup with, and to eat on top of kale/rice bowls. Use your imagination and use the extra time to crochet that baby blanket that's been sitting in your basket forevs, or give your cats some extra scritchin'.

Poor Man's Tempeh Bacon (on split pea soup)

10 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oh stop! This is torture! It looks SO delicious but we don't get tempeh here. I've never had it, actually. But I dream about it because I keep hearing how it makes the greatest bacon.

Debra said...

It does look delicious!

caitlin said...

Knowing how to get tempeh bacon this quickly is going to be almost as dangerous for me as knowing how to make a mug brownie. Om nom nom.

Mihl said...

Can you imagine that I tried tempeh bacon only recently, after my copy of Vegan Brunch arrived? It was hard to hunt down the liquid smoke, but so worth it. I love, love, love tempeh bacon now. Once I am out of liquid smoke I'll definitely give your version a try. No, I should do it earler.

Stella said...

Ooh, that pic in the bowl looks so good!

Erin said...

I tried to make pan-fried quicky smoky tempeh once and it didn't turn out very well, but I think it was cause I crumbled it first and it all went to much. I like this idea better!

erica said...

and now I am hungry. (good thing I'm absconding to Marie's soon. gonna put a hurt on some butternut squash. oh you know.)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That tempeh bacon looks good.

Susan said...

I have starred this recipe - yay for super fast smokey tempeh goodness!

Jade Is Green! said...

This is my kind of tempeh bacon!