With temperatures dipping (well as much as they dip in California...), and my freaky body that gets cold at the slightest breeze, my mind turns to staying warm. Scarves, tea, blankets, baking cookies as an excuse to stay near the hot oven (uh huh)...and soup!
Soups are one of my favorite meals because you basically chop a bunch of shit up, throw it in a pot, and it cooks itself. Okay, maybe it's not as simple as that, but they're quick, economical, and you'll have lotsa leftovers, especially if you double the recipe, which doesn't take that much more time, but does make a ton of food.
I thought I'd throw up my top 10 soup recipes. Most of them are pretty easy and quick, and all of them are delicious and belly-warmin'. I don't have pictures for all of them, and some of these photos are pretty awful, but let me assure you, they're much prettier than I can show here.
1. Chili Sin Carne (from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz)
2. Smoky Refried Bean Soup (from Fat Free Vegan) with avocado and cilantro and lime on top
3. Hungarian Mushroom Stew (veganized, from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen)
4. Smoky Split Pea Soup (from Eat Drink & Be Vegan! by Dreena Burton) with tempeh bacon squares on top
5. Apple & Carrot Soup with Coriander (from Get It Ripe! by Jae Steele)
6. Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple (from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero)
7. Chipotle Corn & Black Bean Stew (from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz)
8. Chickpea Noodle Soup (from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero)
9. Thai Corn Coconut Stew (from Eat Drink & Be Vegan! by Dreena Burton)
10. Cream of Broccoli (veganized, with added potatoes, from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen)