Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 8: Soup Weather






3930562108_f07c8dec17


With temperatures dipping (well as much as they dip in California...), and my freaky body that gets cold at the slightest breeze, my mind turns to staying warm. Scarves, tea, blankets, baking cookies as an excuse to stay near the hot oven (uh huh)...and soup!

Chopping vegetables for soup


Soups are one of my favorite meals because you basically chop a bunch of shit up, throw it in a pot, and it cooks itself. Okay, maybe it's not as simple as that, but they're quick, economical, and you'll have lotsa leftovers, especially if you double the recipe, which doesn't take that much more time, but does make a ton of food.

I thought I'd throw up my top 10 soup recipes. Most of them are pretty easy and quick, and all of them are delicious and belly-warmin'. I don't have pictures for all of them, and some of these photos are pretty awful, but let me assure you, they're much prettier than I can show here.

1. Chili Sin Carne (from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz)
Chili with avo, Tofutti sour cream, and cilantro


2. Smoky Refried Bean Soup (from Fat Free Vegan) with avocado and cilantro and lime on top
Smokey refried bean soup (FFVK)


3. Hungarian Mushroom Stew (veganized, from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen)

4. Smoky Split Pea Soup (from Eat Drink & Be Vegan! by Dreena Burton) with tempeh bacon squares on top
00013


5. Apple & Carrot Soup with Coriander (from Get It Ripe! by Jae Steele)
Apple & Carrot Soup with Coriander (from Get It Ripe by Jae Steele)


6. Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple (from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero)
Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple (Vcon)


7. Chipotle Corn & Black Bean Stew (from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz)
Chipotle, corn & black bean stew (VwaV)


8. Chickpea Noodle Soup (from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero)
Chickpea Noodle Soup (Vcon)


9. Thai Corn Coconut Stew (from Eat Drink & Be Vegan! by Dreena Burton)

10. Cream of Broccoli (veganized, with added potatoes, from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen)

12 comments:

Mandee said...

"JINX!"

We've both titled our posts "Soup Weather" :D

Yum to all of the above and now I know I need to make the Chilli Sin Carne from VWAV and I need to buy EDBV so I can make that Smokey Pea Soup!

I made Yellow Potato Soup from VSK last night and I will be having it for dinner tonight because it's still cold and rainy here.

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! That is quite a lineup of delicious soup! I've been making a lot of raw soup lately because it is still HOT HOT HOT here, upper 90s/lower 100's, hopefully soon I can crank up the stove and make some nice, toasty soup. This post has given me a lot of ideas!

Jeni Treehugger said...

Souptastic post! Soup really is that easy in my opinion. I LOVE how you put avocado on your soup! I have no idea why I haven't done this myself before now!

Debra said...

It all looks soo good. We love soup weather!

BitterSweet said...

I'll take one bowl of everything! What hearty, tempting options.

Amey said...

aha! what a great idea for a post! I love soup too... so delicious, so versatile! And yes, the weather has definitely been soupy. I am about to have some leftover Butternut Squash- Lemongrass soup for lunch. Mmmm.

Mandee said...

No apology needed! I like that on opposite sides of the world we all seem to be making soup due to the weather! :D

No More Sad Geraniums said...

I like how we share some of the same favorite soups; I guess some are just classics. Glad to hear that the apple and carrot from Get it Ripe is good. It has been on my list to try, but I hadn't gotten around to it quite yet...

The Vegan Food Snob said...

holy moly guacamole i can barely keep up! every single item looks amazing. waytago mofoes!

Susan said...

What a great array for soup!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

AWESOME post! I love seeing soup photos = I'm weird.

Autumn said...

I have two favorite soups I make all the time: carrot & onion soup from "Diet for a Small Planet", and a creamy artichoke soup from foodtv.com. I just veganize everything by using veg stock, soy milk, olive oil, and instead of marscapone cheese in the artichoke soup I use vegan cream cheese. They're crowd pleasers, too!