Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Vegan Mofo Day 13: Color Me Vegan!




3930562108_f07c8dec17


Check out my fajita quilt. I was bound and determined to veganize the Chili's Fajita Recipe, one of my favorite things to eat in the world, and I think I succeeded. Sadly, we were all so bent on eating them, that I have only photos of the ingredients before they were horfed down:



More and more I have read in magazines about studies claiming that the more colorful something is, generally, the better it is for you. Obviously fruits and veggies have some of the most vibrant colors, and the most nutritional content, compared to colorless starchy foods. This is probably nothing new to anyone who's reading a cooking blog, but I liked this quote:

"[I suggest eating] seven servings a day of fruits and vegetables, each from a different color group. (To meet your orange-yellow needs, for instance, eat a papaya, nectarine or grapefruit). For most people, iceberg lettuce, French fries and catsup are their three vegetables. [] This is an attempt to bring us back to our evolutionary roots."
- Dr. David Heber, the founding director of the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition and author of the just published What Color Is Your Diet? (HarperCollins)

8 comments:

pixiepine said...

I like the idea of paying attention to eating lots of colors. A great salad goes a long way in that department. Your fajita montage looks great!!

Amey said...

beautiful! one of my friends who is a nutritionist (and a vegan!) taught me about the color thing. I find it really helpful and easy. I always feel very virtuous after eating a colorful meal!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yum, I love fajitas!

Erin said...

I read a book about the "rainbow diet" a few years back, to the same effect. I totally agree, and it's a great way to make sure all your vitamins and minerals are covered, but I really can't be bothered to track the colors I eat each day!

Lacey said...

cool blog! i think you might like http://www.greenerfolks.com ...you can get free vegan food and products!

Kelly said...

Thanks all for the comments and compliments! I love learning about nutrition, you can read and read and cook and cook and still learn new things all the time :)
/k

ronald said...

Thanks to this, now i know that eating a lot of colors may get you feel virtious. I think eating a lot of colors is exciting also. Let me get a try of this one. Thank you.

Vegan Marketing

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Yay for rainbow foods!