Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Weight lossy: Testing for Isa's new book



While 2009 has been kind of a shitstorm for me and my family, one of the coolest things going on in my life (and keeping me sane) has been all the recipe testing I've been doing. I'm lucky enough to be testing for Isa Chandra Moskowitz, the woman who with a single book taught me how to cook and embrace veganism.

The new book is slightly different from her previous books, in that it focuses on low-fat, high-fiber, veggie-full fare! It's not a diet book, though; it's got filling servings, gorgeous colors, and ridiculously flavorful sauces; it's for people who want to eat well, not for dropping a few pounds and then going back to stuffing yourself with salt and vinegar chips (not that I, um, do that). And, it's pretty pantry-friendly, too! Win!

So feast (har) your eyes on the deliciousness:

Quickie BBQ Tofu (Isa tester)
Quickie BBQ Tofu

Smokey Tempeh & Greens Stew (Isa tester)
Smokey Tempeh & Greens Stew

Black bean & yam soup with orange and cilantro (Isa tester)
Black Bean & Yam Soup with Orange & Cilantro

Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Toasted Cumin Seeds (Isa tester)
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Toasted Cumin Seeds (I used black quinoa)

Spicy Potato and Corn Salad (Isa tester)
Spicy Potato and Corn Salad

Caribbean Curry Black Eyed Peas with Plantains (Isa tester)
Caribbean Curry Black Eyed Peas with Plantains & Jerk Asparagus (this meal has become a weekly staple in our house)

Mushroom & Cannelini Bean Paprikas (Isa tester)
Mushroom & Cannelini Bean Paprikas with Scarlet Barley


Everything has tasted so great so far. I feel GOOD after eating this food, and it has shocked everyone, vegans and non-vegans alike, that this it's healthy! No one has walked away from my table feeling deprived.

More to come!

9 comments:

PB and Jess said...

I can't wait for Isa's new cookbook because I just love all the others! I'm glad to see so many healthful and inventive recipes. You did a great job making it look/sound amazing!

a-k said...

That scarlet barley is gorgeous! Did you use beet juice, or is there some kind of special barley I'm not aware of? I'm really excited for this cookbook, especially the Caribbean Curry with Plantains (seen it on quite a few blogs now)!

Liz² said...

Scarlet Barley! my penchant for cute names and ridiculously coloured food is twitching, I soooo want this book eventually!

Mihl said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I am jelous of all you people who test for that book. Everything sounds so delicious! I can't wait for that book.

Sal said...

I am jealous of the testing for this book too, everything looks great!

Celine said...

I knew of regular and red quinoa(s), but black? must find!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Man, I've loved everything so far!

Erin said...

This style of cooking looks right up my alley, can't wait to see more testers!

Lex said...

Rock on! I've been eating this way forever its awesome to having an Isa version to blow the top off the possibilities!