Monday, August 17, 2009

Waffles



So some of you may have noticed that I haven't upated my Awful Waffle blog in FOREVS, and that is true. I think I'm going to let it die. Unfortunately making waffles and my goal of losing weight don't always go together. The good news is, that means all waffle talk will take place on The Sisters Vegan. So hurrah! It's a celebration, bitches!

So, waffles. JP has been asking me for weeks to make the Yeasted Waffles from Vegan Brunch since we had them at a friend's housewarming party (can I get a what what for insanely delicious and food-coma-inducing waffle parties?!). Trouble is, I'm a lazyass (really!), so JP decided to go into uncharted culinary territory and make not only his first waffles but his first yeasted waffles, at that. And they were FUCKING AMAZING. And the best part about waffles is that there are usually leftovers, which means the following Monday morning when you have to get ready to go to work at your shitty job where you will spend most of the day hoping your boss has forgotten you exist, a light toasty yeasted waffle with homemade raspberry jam spread on it tastes like it was made by Jesus himself.

Raised waffles, homemade peach and raspberry jams on the table


Anyway.

We invited our friend Bike Friend Nathan over (the man can smell brunch from miles away) and we had ourselves a fancy brunch, complete with the waffles, tempeh bacon (recipe also in Vegan Brunch), and various fixins': Earth Balance, maple syrup, two kinds of Grandma-made jam (raspberry and peach), and stewed apples.

Stewed apples and tempeh bacon (and raised waffle in the background)


What are stewed apples? Well they're basically warm delicious sugary apples for putting on top of things. I'd never made them before, just thought they sounded like a good idea and modified this recipe (ignore the giant disgusting picture of dead pig).

Raised waffles (VB) with stewed apples and tempeh bacon on the side


Stewed Apples
Makes I dunno how much, enough for four people anyway

4-6 cups sliced apples (I just kind of eyeballed it)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until apple is tender as you want it to be, stirring occasionally. Apples will be nice and sweet and spicy and floppy and tender and a little caramelized when you're done!

I leave my skins on. We're not a fan of peeling fruit or vegetables in this house, be it cucumbers, carrots, apples, or pears. That's where a bunch of the fiber and deliciousness is, anyway. I GUESS bananas/citrus/pineapple are exempt.

10 comments:

Amey said...

those yeasted waffles are the most bestest waffles ever and I will never waste my time or calories on any other waffle. I love them. love love love. now I want waffles. Damn you!

Sal said...

I now really wish I had a waffle maker!

dreaminitvegan said...

I really need to get a waffle maker.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

RIP Awful Waffle! Welcome to my belly, yeasted waffles!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Ooooh I haven't made those waffles yet!

Mandee said...

Mmmm waffles! It's been too long since I've had any!

Mihl said...

I am a bit sad about the death of The Awful Waffle. I bought a waffle iron together with Vegan Brunch and it was the best idea ever! I think I might even lose weight with vegan waffles, as regular waffle recipes here call for 200 g of sugar, 200 g of butter, and three eggs (and some flour of course). Thank you so much for the stewed apple recipe. I have tons of apples around.

Erin said...

It's been FAR too long since I had a decent waffle. Want!

LK Sisters said...

Your breakfast looks delicious! I've been so wanting a waffle maker - much easier to make waffles than pancakes. The apples look tasty too!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I LOVE Vegan Brunch but I haven't tried those waffles yet - must remedy that asap! Great blog, I'm loving it!