Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Vegan Brunch



If you couldn't tell from reading the blog, I love love love brunch. It's the perfect way to start a lazy Sunday, it's delicious yummies to fuel your fun-filled day, it's the solution to a wicked hangover...you really can't go wrong with brunch.

Which is why I was fucking STOKED (yes, I said it, what, let's fight) when I heard about Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra-Moskowitz, the gorgeous kitchen goddess who gave us Vegan with a Vengeance, and, with Terry Hope Romero, forms half of the dynamic girl culinary duo that wrote Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Veganomicon, and the upcoming Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (the last of which yours truly has been test baking for) (No I don't use proper grammar) (I clearly had ice cream at lunch).

Enough with the product plugging! I love all Isa's cookbooks; your favorite verbally incontinent spazzy blogger (aka, me) barely knew how to cook before she got Vegan with a Vengeance in her grubby little ewok-like hands. And look at me now! I may have no direction or ambition and drift aimlessly upon the blustery sea of career advancement, but I can cook a tofu scramble so good it makes men leave their wives just to gaze upon my culinary expertise with barely-concealed lust. My cookies have brought entire empires to ruin. The last thing you'll all see before the end is my aproned silhouette, standing on a mountain top, a tray of biscotti thrust towards the heavens as the sky burns and the seas boil!

Anyway!

What I'm saying is, this book, like Isa's other books, kicks ass. It's just something about the way she speaks to the reader; there are no pretensions, no demands; it's like having a friend in the kitchen, helping you out. I've loved everything I've made from Vegan Brunch so far. Even if the idea of rolling/falling out of bed on a Sunday at 10am is repellent to you, most of the recipes can be used at late afternoon picnics or potlucks. Or, fuck it, make pancakes in a drunken stupor at 12:30am on a Thursday night. Because, um, I've certainly never done that. (The sad thing is I'm better at flipping pancakes while inebriated than while sober.)

But really, how could you NOT get out of bed for chocolate-beer waffles? Shiitake-dill frittata? Pumpkin pancakes? Lemon-cashew stuffed crepes with whole berry sauce? Homemade vegan sausages, muffins, scones, it's all here, folks. OM NOM FREAKING NOM is, I believe, the scientific term to describe the deliciousness.

Here are some lovely lovely photographs of recipes I've made out of this book. Most of them are from over the weekend, which the boy and I spent up in Sonoma county at my parents' domicile.

Classic Broccoli Quiche (PPK blog)
Classic Broccoli Quiche (from Easter)

Caramelized Onion Quiche (Vegan Brunch!!)
Caramelized Onion Quiche (what, I fuckin' like quiche)

Cashew Ricotta (Vegan Brunch)
Cashew Ricotta

Omelet (Vegan Brunch) stuffed with Cashew Ricotta (also Vegan Brunch), balsamic mushrooms & onions, potatoes
Omelette stuffed with Cashew Ricotta, balsamic mushrooms & onions, and leftover potato wedges

Potato Avocado Salad (Vegan Brunch)
Potato Avocado Salad


Not picture, but also made (and devoured) was the coffee cake, with the apricot cardamom variation!

So go and buy a copy, preferably from your local bookstore! Berkeley peeps, I got my copy at Moe's Books on Telegraph, might want to call ahead and see if they have it.

I'm getting tingles just thinking about that potato salad. OOooooh.

8 comments:

Saurabh said...

this is incredible! I wish there were more restaurants where I could go and eat these things. I haven't been able to get out of my comfort zone of vegan Indian breakfast items! But I'm buying that book soon!!

mlheran said...

Anyone who doesn't like quiche is a fool, yo! *snarf*
And wow, that potato-avocado salad sounds/looks awesome!! :9

Jenna said...

You are making me that cashew cheese THIS coming weekend. Or no bike rides. I HAVE SPOKEN.

Amy said...

You made me laugh out loud at my desk!!! Thrusting biscotti to the heavens and sexy tofu scrambles!!! Ahhhh... You should be a creative writer if you aren't already...

Yes! Vegan Brunch rules! Go make the bagels. I can't stop eating them. That bowl of cashew ricotta looks amazing. Word to Isa.

susanmcc said...

The secret of the potato-avocado salad is to eat it when the potatoes are still warm, armed only with a large spoon and the serving bowl. And don't tell anyone you made it, that way you don't have to share! A lovely weekend with lovely food!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Dude, being a tester for that book was SO awesome. I can't wait to get my copy.

dreaminitvegan said...

I'm just going to get my fork to dig into that amazing looking enchilada!!! oh man that looks so good! Avacado in potato salad, why not!

Erin said...

Did you say chocolate, beer, and waffles in the same sentence? It's like Isa can see right into my soul.