Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Portlandia



So after months of toil, I finally accrued enough vacation time to go on a short jaunt up to P-town, aka Portland, Oregon, aka the best city EVER. I went to college in Eugene, and since I was the SUPER COOLEST and decided to stay for a fifth year, during that time I got to visit my much smarter friends who moved to Portland after graduation.

I didn't get to do or eat everything I wanted to because my time was so short (vegan waffle cart, I think about you and weep!), but I'm planning another trip up in July so cross your fingers. And, most importantly, I got to spend lots of time with dear friends that I miss very much, and who were kind enough to put me up for a night or two during my stay. There was also a long walk with a cute dog, Smash Brothers tutorials, a birthday party, shopping, multiple vegan donuts & bagels, yummy homebrew and backyard sunshine, the comfiest blanket ever, some amazing homemade meals, and a new tattoo!

Picture highlights:

Kale 'n Quinoa bowl (w/tempeh and avo) and tea from Red and Black Cafe
Kale 'n Quinoa bowl with tempeh and avocado, and chamomile tea, from Red & Black Cafe

Chickastick donut from Voodoo Donuts
Amazing delicious want-to-eat-a-wagon-full-of-them Chickostick donut from Voodoo Donuts on top of recently purchased copy of Thrive by Branden Brazier (from Herbivore)...what a juxtaposition. I'm sorry Branden, will you still go out with me? Or at least allow me to stare at pictures of you creepily? Wait, I already do that...

Funny sign I saw while wandering around Portland
Funny sign I saw while wandering around

Sweetpea in Portland
Nobody beats Sweetpea's bagels and schmear, or the atmosphere

Beautiful cherry blossoms outside the vegan minimall
Gorgeous cherry blossoms from inside Sweetpea

Inside Scapegoat
The inside of Scapegoat Tattoo

It hurts so good
Getting tattooed by Dylan. It hurt so good.

AMAAAZING vegan brunch with Morgie-poo's neighbors!
AMAZING vegan brunch that my BFF M-poo's neighbors made us...to-die-for biscuits and gravy, potatoes, tofu scram, and OJ. Not picture: fruitses!


Moral of the story is, if you're vegan and haven't been to Portland yet, get off your ass!

10 comments:

Mandee said...

!!!!!! I want that doughnut, it looks yummo and new tattoo *hi5*!

pixiepine said...

I am absolutely speechless. Must have bff's in Portland overnight me some Chick-o-Stick donuts! YUM!!!

Erin said...

Haaaahaha, I love the donut on top of Thrive. That's funny.

Glad your trip was great! I want to go to Portland bad, but I think I'm going to have to wait almost a year.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I need to see that tattoo in person, missy!

dreaminitvegan said...

I love Portland!

LK Sisters said...

Love Portland! I've been to Sweet Pea Bakery and I like that I can feel at ease getting a vegan dessert! Red and Black Cafe sounds good!

BitterSweet said...

Ah, I miss Portland so much..! Everything there is just full of vegan deliciousness, right? Sigh.

Model Citizen aka Bonnie Rue said...

Portland is one of greatest places for a hungry vegan. They really know what they're doing up there!

urban vegan said...

What am I waiting for?!

Amy said...

So glad you enjoyed your visit! And, you got to see the cherry blossoms in full bloom - so pretty! I agree, Sweetpea is a solace...