Tuesday, March 3, 2009

You must make this soup. I command it.



I've fallen in love with the Smokey Refried Bean Soup from FatFree Vegan Kitchen.

Smokey refried bean soup (FFVK)


Why, you ask?

1. Easy to find ingredients available at any grocery store (except for perhaps chipotle chili powder, but really, that's worth a trip to infinity and beyond, so get yo'self some NOW!)

2. Go home, chop some shit up, throw it all in a pot, simmer for 20-30 minutes, BOOM, dinner is on the table.

3. During those 20-30 minutes, you can clean up, chop up some avocado and cilantro for the top (my addition), AND, you can cut up some corn tortillas, throw them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spray with oil, throw on some coarse salt, lime juice, chili powder, whatevs, and bake at 400 F degrees for 10 minutes, for fresh, crunchy homemade tortilla chips that aren't nearly as oily as store-bought. And the last couple ounces aren't smushed to tiny bits at the bottom of the bag.

Homemade tortilla chips!


4. Per serving: Per serving: 257 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (4% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 895mg Sodium; 14g Fiber!!!

5. It's delicious, so much so that I want to make sweet sweet love to it.

The flavors get even better overnight, which means nommable leftovers for me for lunch at work the next day.

7 comments:

Melisser said...

You make me want to make this!

SusanV said...

So funny--I just made this again last night. I'm happy to find someone who likes it as much as I do!

allularpunk said...

you make a compelling argument.

Jenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenna said...

You had to put avocado on it didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?!

Mihl said...

You promised to cook for me. Maybe I'll command that you cook this for me? He he.

Erin said...

I've been craving refried beans all day, even though I gorged myself on a huge burrito yesterday.

I'm so glad that you signed up for FFTY! I think you'll love it, I definitely do. If I had known, I think I could've "referred" you to save you a few bucks.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten that we owe each other a date. We should get together soon!