Thursday, March 12, 2009

When you have the plague...


...Eat PPK Chili. Works wonders!

I'm not the greatest cook in the world - lord knows I can't cook like my other half! But occasionally something turns out really great, and this is definitely one of those things. I used chipotle chili powder instead of regular, and it was the perfect amount of heat (I'm about medium wussy on the scoville scale. Though, my father thought it would be funny to feed me part of a scotch bonnet once). Everything was just creamy and delicious and wonderful.
Even with a few substitutions, like the poblano chilis that Whole Foods DIDN'T HAVE, it turned out nicely. I used chili-seasoned pinto beans (I had them in the pantry, was convenient) and I used the mexican-style smart beef grounds instead of the standard ones. Didn't end up using any dried chilis but I think the chipotle powder probably made up for it. So good! And it's the first time I've tried this recipe. Actually, it's the first time I've ever made chili! In my life! See, I had this problem with beans before I went vegan...now I horf them down like you woudn't believe.

Anyhow! PPK has never let me down. Now I have enough delicious vegan chili to keep me warm for the rest of the week, even if I'm sneezing and miserable. Check out the chili montage:

3 comments:

mlheran said...

Looks good Kel! Sorry to hear you've got the plague, boo. :( Get well soon!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I always love a good chili recipe!

Erin said...

I like the chili progress pictures. Hope you're feeling all better by now!