Monday, March 2, 2009

'Italian' food & pie



More 'Italian' food! My heritage must be showing; it's been rainy, gray, and dismal for the past few days and it's not supposed to stop any time soon, and it makes me cranky. I need the sun!

So, I made comfort food:

Spaghetti and Beanballs (Vcon)
Spaghetti with Beanballs with Caramelized Oion & Roasted Red Pepper Marina, both from Veganomicon


This hit the spot. I haven't had spaghetti and "meat"balls in a very long time, and I'd been craving them for a while. The bean ball recipe is very similar to the chickpea cutlets, but different beans/spices (obviously) and in ball form (also obviously). I probably would have baked them a little longer to get them a little more firm, but that was probably due to my oven; it has been even finickier than usual lately, heating 75 degrees over what it should be! Grr. I can't wait to move.

And what's dinner without dessert? Despite my cranky oven, I decided to use the abundance of citrus sitting on my counter (thanks, Mom & Dad!) to make another pie from Hannah's Mission: Impossible Pies e-cookbook:

Lemon Curd Pie
Lemon Curd Pie


Creamy and delicious and tart! I decreased the amount of sugar a bit because JP and I are sugar-wusses, but that was the only change. I love this recipe because it uses ingredients readily available at any, and I mean in the middle of Podunk Nowhere, grocery store. I have plans to make the Mint Chocolate Chip Pie for my family's next get-together!

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Mmmm. I want to come over for dinner.

Neta said...

The beanballs look great! I've been planing to make this for a while.

Mandee said...

I haven't had spaghetti since going vegan either, I want some of yours please!

Erin said...

Your big plate of spaghetti looks sooooo good! For whatever reason, I haven't tried the beanballs yet. It's only a matter of time though.

Hopefully the weather is more agreeable to you nowadays!

Stella said...

Mmm... that is inspirational. I have been on a lemon kick lately, and that looks like it would really hit the spot.