Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Irish Soda Bread aka Breakfast



For some reason I can't fathom, I haven't made anything from Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau in a long time. I pulled the thick volume out on Monday, however, because I knew there was a recipe for Irish soda bread within. My workplace had a St. Paddy's Day potluck yesterday, and I wanted to bring SOMETHING I could eat! (I was pleasantly surprised, incidentally, that a coworker brought a cabbage sesame salad that was not only accidentally vegan, but AMAZING!)

The recipe is quite simple, and I was impressed by how simple the ingredients were. This is a recipe you could make almost anywhere. Flour, salt, baking soda, white vinegar? Who doesn't have those on hand? If you're a college student who goes home for the holidays, this would be a really easy recipe to contribute to a holiday meal, and show your famfam that vegan baking IS indeed possible and also ZOMG delicious. The only tricky ingredients might be the soymilk and the vegan margarine. But soymilk (or another nondairy milk) is so easy to find these days, and you could always bring some Earth Balance with you in a little tupperware container.

Very quick to mix up, then 35 minutes in the oven and you're done and you have yummy , slightly moist, thick bread to share with your family and friends.

I added the optional raisins, and also the zest of one orange, because my boyfriend says that's how he likes it, and the boy's ridiculously Irish, so I'm not going to argue. I also replaced half of the all purpose flour with white whole wheat flour.

I ate the leftovers for breakfast this morning at work with a cup of jasmine green tea.

Irish Soda Bread (JoVB


Colleen recently posted the recipe on Facebook, so if you haven't added her as a friend already, you should!

5 comments:

Mihl said...

Happy St. Patrick's. I never made Irish Soda Bread, but of course I have Colleen's book. Must try this soon.

erica said...

The stuff an Irish girl made in England (well after St. Paddy's - it was for an epic hangover brunch... did you meet the Irish hottie?) had currants in it. THAT was badass.

and JP -is- ridiculously Irish. and this reminded me of both of you: http://thisisindexed.com/2009/03/enjoy-this-ironic-holiday/

allularpunk said...

oooooh... i was going to make soda bread last night, but didn't end up having time/energy. i guess i didn't realize how freaking easy it was.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I love Irish soda bread!!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Looks good to me!