Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Roasted brussies = <3



Neither Kelly nor I enjoyed brussels sprouts as children. In fact I think it would be more accurate to say we loathed them. Little boiled balls of leaves that didn't taste like anything were NOT my cup of tea. In fact the only way I could stomach them was by drowning them in fatty, unhealthy ranch dressing (sorry, mom!).

But the flavor of these little bundles of fiberful goodness changes completely when you roast them. They taste even more tender and delicious if you buy them at the farmer's market! And now I positively adore them! The outer leaves become hot and crispy and the inside gets a little softer and more palatable.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts


I generally use this recipe from the PPK blog, and add things if I feel like it. For this picture, I added a couple splashes of balsamic vinegar to the pan. We've also added chunks of garlic and lots of coarse salt. Try this lower-fat version from FatFree Vegan Kitchen, or this recipe for Blood Orange and Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts from Get Sconed!.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts


Trust a former brussels sprout hater - I've only got love for them now! I even eat slices of them raw in salads!

4 comments:

erica said...

WHOA. I totally roasted up some bruss-n-roots Monday night. By roots, I mean spuds, yams and beets. GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

The two roasting pan meal is pretty sweet in terms of clean up, I must say.

Mihl said...

I don't know anybody who loves Brussel sprouts...because they never talked to Isa. I think she convinced every vegan who has her cookbooks. She deserves an award for that.

Muffin said...

i have been eating roasted brussel sprouts at least one meal a day for about a month now. they're AMAZING!! i had never eaten them, and one day i cracked open my veganomicon and HOLY CRAP! i'm in love. i'm actually sitting at my desk right now thinking of roasting them with purple kale, broccoli, soy sauce, and pine nuts. oh crap, i'm drooling on the keyboard.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Brussels!