Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sooooo tasty


So, you may find yourself wondering, where on earth is the Kelly half of this blog? I wondered the same thing as I scroll down the list of posts and see my name about once every 8-10 posts. Based on heavy research and a little extrapolation I have concluded that it is because I am a) lazy, and b) swamped. But FEAR NOT! Mark has returned for another episode of Gleegan cooking, and the results are amazingly delicious.

Witness below: We have christened it Vegetable Bean Soup with Corn Dumplings. It is a mad fusion of Susan Voisin's Easy Bean and Vegetable Soup and a mutant version of PPK cornbread with butterscotch syrup instead of maple (I had none!), rice vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar (again...I had none...and my white vinegar was not GF) and pamela's gluten-free baking mix instead of the flour. I think the GF flour was a little more thirsty than regular, so we ended up having to add more soymilk to get it to pour into the pan nicely. On account of that, though, they came out a little more like biscuits than cornbread. We were a little bummed at first, but then I started tearing it up and putting it in the soup, and realized it tastes Fucking Amazing, and thus begat Corn Dumplings. Go us!



Also, I went to Meg's on Friday and we had fun sister time! We made her Tamarind Tofu, a recipe currently being worked on and it was perfect and crispy. I couldn't tell you the specifics at the moment but I know it uses Tamarind juice concentrate among other things. The tofu is just fried up in a little egg replacer and cornstarch.



Nommmmmm.

10 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Just the word "dumplings" makes me think of comfort food. Yummy :o)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, yes please! I'll take one of each.

allularpunk said...

i like your sweded dinner... corn dumplings sound a-ok with me!

Mihl said...

Indeed I wondered. Glad to see you back with so much delicious food.

Saurabh said...

I know of a recipe with potatoes instead of tofu in the tamarind tofu. They call it aloo chat in India.

I've to try out your recipes. Do you two sisters have potlucks? I'd love to come... and say yum!

Kelly said...

Yeah! Vegan comfort food rocks because pretty much any omni will eat it ;)

Saurabh - recipe sounds delicious! Also, I had not thought about a Sisters Vegan potluck, but that's a *fantastic* idea! :P

Saurabh said...

Kelly, you got to start a potluck. It's time I found more vegan foodies. Invariably I end up cooking with omni foodies and I don't get anything new to try since it's my own recipes.

I'm in not-so-vegan-friendly North Beach. Where're you at?

Kelly said...

I am downtown! My only problem is that my apartment is roughly the size of a shoebox, makes it difficult for ushering in more than a few vegans at any given time. It'll just be a....very cozy potluck! XD

Mandee said...

Mmm gfree corn bread, sounds good to me!

Erin said...

I would very much like to eat this tamarind tofu you speak of.

I had been wondering when you were going to post again :) Welcome back.