Friday, December 19, 2008

Proof that office potlucks CAN be fun



Today was our office's Secret Santa gift exchange and potluck. I was ambivalent about the potluck; the sign-up list for dishes that people were bringing was mostly non-vegan stuff (except for me, obviously), so I figured I'd eat a lot of my hummus and chips and buy something afterwards.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I walked into work this morning and found out that not one but TWO of my coworkers had brought in vegan food! One made these cookies sans the chocolate chips, and my boss made this Cheesy Bean Enchilada Casserole. Both were FABULOUS and were enjoyed by omnis AND the office vegan (yours truly) alike. I was really touched, I almost teared up. I don't like posting pictures of food where there's omni stuff visible but I was so touched by their wonderfulness that I wanted to post a picture and this was the only one I had (just don't look if you know you'll be offended):


Office Potluck - almost 1/3 vegan! :D


I made cards for all the dishes using this image printed out on cardstock and cut into tag shapes!

I brought three things: hummus (my go-to recipe is the one in Veganomicon, subbing sesame oil for olive oil and using extra lemon juice), cupcakes, and fudge.

The fudge was the Five Minute Coconut Fudge from My Sweet Vegan. It turned out great, and coworkers were sampling it before the potluck even started! I had one small hiccup while making it: the hot coconut milk and melted margarine didn't melt my chocolate chips, so I stirred everything together as the recipe said, spread it in the pan, and popped it into the oven (which was preheated for the cupcakes) for two or three minutes. After the chips melted I took it out, gave a quick stir with a silicone spatula, and then proceeded with the rest of the recipe, and it turned out beautifully.


Five Minut Coconut Fudge (MSV)


The cupcakes were the standard Cookies 'n Cream recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but instead of making them with Oreos (or Newman-O's, as I do), I made them with the candy cane JoJo's from Trader Joe's, which are randomly vegan in some parts of the country, and not vegan in other parts. Luckily, they ARE vegan in the Bay Area! (Or unluckily, because this means I have candy cane sandwich cookies to horf down...ugh, like I'm not already going into a sugar coma from all the holiday baked goods I've been eating). Anyway! I stole the idea from moooooooooo! on the PPK, who made these in mini-form for a birthday party I was invited to by Melisser to last weekend, and I ate like five of them while there and took more home. I added peppermint extract to the batter and I was worried that they were going to taste like toothpaste, but the mint really mellows out after baking. There was almost a disaster because I forgot to put the god damn cookies in the COOKIES 'N CREAM CUPCAKES...but it was averted. Huzzah! Hey simmer down there Tobias!


Candy Cane JoJo's Cookies 'n Cream Cupcakes (VCTOtW)


Anyhoo. All my food was much loved by coworkers, and it's seriously taking all my willpower not to go in and snarf down some more fudge.

Tonight we are celebrating both Kelly and JP's VEGANNIVERSARIES! YAYYYYYYY! Congratulations to the sis and the boyfriend! :3 I'm very proud of both of you for living a compassionate life for a YEAR now! You guys rock and make my life way more punk rock/awesome/wonderful. MUAH! BIG HUGS! There will be much eating at Weird Fish and Maggie Mudd's tonight (we finally get to use the gift certificate we won at the Vegan รก Go Go Book Bash back in September!).

P.S. What did I get for my secret Santa gift? A 6-pack of local beer! Someone obviously knows me well (thanks Mahlon!).

5 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Jealous to the max! Especially of those cupcakes!!!

Tara said...

Your co-workers are so sweet! Everything looks great, especially those cupcakes. I used the same fudge recipe and my chocolate chips didn't melt all the way either!

Neta said...

unexpected thoughtfulness is great! I like those moments, you can really feel like you're making a difference when other people act this way.

btw, the cupcakes look YUM!

Mihl said...

Your boss made vegan food for you? That's so fantastic.
Your cupcakes look absolutely amazing.

BitterSweet said...

How awesome! I wish I had a pot luck planned for this year...