Thursday, December 4, 2008

Gleegan baking





Wheat free chocolate chippers (Vcon)


I thought I'd share my first official foray into gleegan baking! I say official because last Christmas Kelly and I had an unofficial GF baking experience that was the result of lacking all the proper ingredients to make "normal" cupcakes (flour, leavening, etc). They were very tasty, if rubbery, banana-cinnamon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.

Anyway. I wanted to make something wheat-free for a classmate of JP's who kindly let us park our car in her driveway while we were waiting for some paperwork so we could get a parking permit from the city of Berkeley (so we can drive it once a month, woo). I decided to stick with something simple; since it's a gift, I didn't want to run the risk of fucking anything up too badly!

This is the wheat-free chocolate chip cookies recipe from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. Now, celiacs beware: the recipe uses oat flour. Some people with wheat intolerances/allergies can apparently tolerate it, but others can't. I'm sure that using a GF baking mix would be a fine substitute though; you can buy it or make your own.

These crispy little disks of cookieness turned out great, though flatter than I expected. The batter seemed a little runny, so I did a test batch of 6 cookies, which spread a LOT while baking:


Wheat free chocolate chippers (Vcon)


But I just added more oat flour until the mixture seemed more cookie batter-ish, and they turned out fine. I like thinner, crispier cookies so this is actually ideal for me! Here's a comparison of the first test batch and the ones with more oat flour added:


Wheat free chocolate chippers (Vcon)


For more gluten/wheat-free vegan fun, I recommend checking out Cupcake Kitteh and Gluten-Free Vegan!

3 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

hmmm. Those look great, and glad to see you gave them a shot. I was trying to decide last weekend between that recipe and the oatmeal raisins - I went with the Oatmeal and was a little disappointed...didn't really like all the flour in them.
But your looks amazing - great of you to have done that for your parking angel.

Mihl said...

Those cookies look so nice! I like the stack.

Mandee said...

I always link your blog post with the definition of gleegan in it when I use the word on my blog and just found this post where you suggest checking out my blog, so thank youuuuuu! Much <3! xox