Thursday, November 20, 2008

Recent dinners






Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple (Vcon)
Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple (Veganomicon)


Delicious, wonderful, spicy (I doubled the spice) perfect-for-autumn soup. You wouldn't think that sweet grilled pineapple would complement the ancho so well, but it does! It's like culinary magic!


Brooklyn Pad Thai
Brooklyn Pad Thai (VwaV)


Minus pepper sub carrots and mushrooms. As you might recall, tamarind concentrate was among my haul from the Thai market, so I finally got to use it in this recipe! It really adds an "authentic" flavor (ie, one of those tastes I notice in restaurant pad thai but couldn't seem to replicate at home). I also used wide rice noodles since that was all I had.


BBQ pomegranate tofu (VwaV), green bean salad (VYY), steamed kale
BBQ pomegranate tofu (VwaV), green bean salad (VYY), and steamed kale


Mom and dad gave me LOADS of pomegranates, which, in addition to eating as is, I love to use as a finishing touch for the tofu. I must say, either my culinary skills have improved immensely since last year or the different brand of tofu really helped. This recipe is AMAZING and I can't get enough of the sauce. (And of course, VeganYumYum's green bean salad...I substituted mirin for the white wine since I never seem to have any wine that doesn't go straight into my belly...)

Next up: I finally made the chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon! Stay tuned!

5 comments:

Neta said...

Now I'm craving Pad Thai, damn!

I'm waiting for the chickpea cutlets post. I love this recipe!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, yum! I need to get back to cooking.

allularpunk said...

all looks yummy! especially that tofu. damn, girl.

Mihl said...

OMG, that pomegranate tofu!

Al said...

Sisters, you have been tagged (if you're into that sort of thing). See my blog for details...