Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 28: Autumny Foods



As we draw near the end of Vegan MoFo 2008, I am running out of steam. Probably because the evil test of doom that I have to take is THIS SATURDAY (some fool scheduled it for the day after Halloween - dumb, right?). No matter - still going to party hardcore on Friday. Because EFF responsibility!

Anyway here's what I made last night (while I should have been, ahem, studying):


Apple & Carrot Soup with Coriander (from Get It Ripe by Jae Steele)


First recipe from my newest cookbook, Get It Ripe by Jae Steele. This is Apple & Carrot Soup with Coriander. Mmm! Very tasty. At first I was nervous to try it (it smells sweeter than it tastes), but after a bite I began to really appreciate the warm cinnamony appleyness mixed with the spicy coriander. Perfect for curling up with on a chilly night when your uterus hates you.


Banana Pumpkin Spice Muffins 1


I seem to be on a cinnamon kick. Later in the evening I used up the last of the pumpkin butter my cousin Michelle gave me in these Banana Pumpkin Spice Muffins from BitterSweet. I stumbled across them while looking for vegan bakesale recipes for one of JP's classmates, and decided to make them myself! I made 6 BIG muffins, and wow were they good. Really moist, lots of spice. They use simple ingredients most people have on hand, and this recipe is a great way to use up those overripe bananas you've got stored away in your freezer. (You DO keep overripe bananas, right? It would be a travesty to simply throw them out...) The only change I made was that I used completely whole wheat flour to make them a tiny bit healthier. And they were still amazingly fluffy and delicious.

4 comments:

BitterSweet said...

I totally forgot I even had that recipe. Glad you enjoyed it, and now I want to make another batch myself!

Mihl said...

Looks both very comforting!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yum, those muffins look huge!

And the soup sounds good as well. I love orange soups!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I EAT the frozen bananas in my freezer! Yum yum.