Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 23: A hint of what's to come



I'm working on a project, and I wanted to gauge interest. I'm thinking about starting a blog devoted to...vegan waffles. My own recipes (and pictures of others' recipes, obviously).

I've been playing with the idea for a while, and made some starts last weekend with these:


Hashbrown waffles 1
Hashbrown waffles


These obviously did not turn out that great because I was just curious to see if it would work, so it's only shredded potato and a little oil. Next time I'm going to try throwing in a little cornstarch to make them hold together a little more and start experimenting with spices. I also didn't leave them in long enough because I was HANGRY!!! (Hangry = so hungry you're angry)


'Bacon' scallion waffles and apple slices
'Bacon' scallion waffles*


Sweet Pea Bakery in Portland has 'bacon'-scallion cream cheese that is amazing. And I miss Sweet Pea a lot. So I thought I'd combine those flavors in a waffle. It's a variation on the Waffles 1 recipe from Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I'm still playing with it but since I can get vegan bacon bits in bulk at Berkeley Bowl and scallions are dirt cheap at the farmer's market, I should have a real recipe soon.

These were REALLY tasty with maple syrup, which was a nice counterflavor to the saltiness of the "bacon."

I was inspired by (a) my own love of waffles, (b) seeing some of the savory waffles that Isa's new brunch cookbook testers have been putting out, and (c) disturbed by the lack of vegan waffles offered at breakfast places. It's a tragedy, I tell you.

*I can never get my god damn waffles to be perfectly square. I blame my shitty waffle maker. And myself. But mostly the waffle maker.

4 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

I actually like irregular shaped Waffles - I think they are far more pleasing to the eye than perfectly proportioned ones.
I'm liking your idea and will visit often to learn of your Waffling Shenanigans.

Destiny's Vegan Kitchen said...

Everything will be in waffle form from now on!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Sounds fun to me! Have you made falafel waffles yet?

Erin said...

I'm totally down with an all-vegan-waffle, all-the-time blog.