Obligatory MoFo survey! I've been waiting for a day when I was too exhausted to cook to do this, and today seems to be it. This survey was created by Jess of Get Sconed!.
1. What was the most recent tea you drank?
A cold mug of Good Earth decaf lemongrass green tea (all the caffeinated stuff is gone, boo)
2. What vegan forums do you post/lurk on? If so, what is your username? Spill!
I'm on the VFF and the PPK as herbstsonne.
3. You have to have tofu for dinner, and it has be an Italian dish. What comes to mind first?
Tofu ricotta in lasagna! :D
4. How many vegan blogs do you read on an average day?
On weekdays, like 20-25. I am lazy through the weekend and then play catch up on Monday.
5. Besides your own, what is the most recent one you’ve read?
6. If you could hang out with a vegan blogger that you haven’t met, who would it be, and what would you do?
I would love to meet Hannah Kaminsky and eat lots of vegan sushi at Kitaro in San Franciso and then go to the Japan Center, or drive to Canada and spend a day in Dreena Burton's kitchen!
7. If you had to base your dinners for a week around one of the holy trilogy – tofu, seitan or tempeh, which would it be?
Tofu – I just love the shit.
8. If you had to use one in a fight, which would it be?
One of those huge blocks of nigari tofu, frozen. That shit is heavy.
9. Name 3 meals you’d realistically make with that tough protein of choice!
Crispy sweet and sour tofu, Scrambled tofu, and the Asian grilled tofu from VwaV.
10. What’s a recipe in vegan blogland that you’ve been eyeing?
This delicata squash bisque and these Thanksgiving Burgers
11. Do you own any clothing with vegan messages/brands on them?
I've got a Cow Guevara shirt from (the late) Vegan Porn that I share with Kelly, and I have a black Herbiore t-shirt.
12. Have you made your pilgrimage to the 'vegan mecca' yet? (Portland, duh)
Shit son, I lived in Eugene (2 hours away) for four years. Did I EVER! And I miss Red & Black's and Sweetpea and Bay Leaf like crayzay.
13. What age did you first go vegan? Did it stick?
22.5 (i.e., last August). Never looked back, thriving and loving it.
14. What is the worst vegan meal you’ve had? Who cooked it?
There's this place in Berkeley called Razan's Organic, this little hole in the wall just off of Shattuck. They're a vegan-friendly omni place, but the prices are exorbitant and the food ain't worth it. I got a vegan schawarma and John got a burrito, and not only were the portions tiny but it was the blandest shite we'd ever eaten. Also service blew. If I'm going to spend like $8 on what was essentially some barely cooked tofu in a flatbread, it better be god damn delicious, because I can make that shit in my house for cheaps.
15. What made you decide to blog?
I've been keeping a personal blog since 2001, and reading vegan blogs played such a huge role in helping me go vegan that I figured I'd spread the love. This blog started as a way for Kelly and I (newbs) to learn more about veganism together and a way to collaborate on something fun while we lived 500 miles away (though now I'm a little closer, haha).
16. What are three of your favorite meals to make?
Lasagna, soup, and the black bean and sweet potato flautas from Yellow Rose Recipes.
17. What dish would you bring to a vegan Thanksgiving-themed potluck?
My late grandma's caramelized sweet potatoes. SO GOOD.
18. Where is your favorite vegan meal at a restaurant? How many times have you ordered it?
The tofu florentine at Fellini in Berkeley (3 times) and the orange sesame tofu at Bay Leaf in Portland (4?).
16. What do you think the best chain to dine as a vegan is?
Cafe Yumm, hands down. GOD they need to get their asses down to the Bay Area. My bowl of choice: Large original, vegan, sub carrots and cabbage, sub sesame jalepeno salsa for the regular red kind, extra Yumm sauce on the side. NOM!!! I haven't had a Yumm bowl in months and I think I'm going through withdrawals!
17. My kitchen needs a………
Blender. It's getting ridiculous.
18. This vegetable is not allowed in my kitchen…..!
I'm not really a huge fan of purple beets, except shredded into salads. JP loves them though.
19. What's for dinner tonight?
Quinoa, kale, and some sweet and sour tempeh and sweet potatoes.
20.Add a question here!
Best place to eat on a budget in Berkeley? Vegi Food! :D
I'll try to get Kelly to fill this out too! :)