Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 19: Pumpkin raisin walnut oatmeal



A PPK thread that popped up this morning discussed what to do with pumpkin butter. Hmm, I thought, I have a jar of pumpkin butter that my cousin gave me last year and I never opened. Hmmm...


img_0657


I unearthed it from the back of the cabinet and opened it. Rich, deep orange autumnal goodness was staring me right in the face, begging to be used. Thus, pumpkin raisin walnut oatmeal was born!


Pumpkin raisin walnut oatmeal


Pumpkin Raisin Walnut Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups water
1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
2 Tbsp pumpkin butter
1 Tbsp whole flax seeds
Splash of non-dairy milk (optional)

In a saucepan, combine oats and water over high heat. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat to low and add walnuts, raisins, and spices. Let simmer, stirring every once in a while so it doesn't stick. After 5-10 minutes, depending on how thick you like your oatmeal, add pumpkin butter, flaxseeds, and non-dairy milk. Stir a minute or so more, then serve. Eat while curled up on the couch, recovering from 5k run earlier, and watching Season 3 of The Office for the fourth time.

The best part is, there's enough natural sweetness from the raisins and the pumpkin butter that you don't need to sweeten it at all! It's so yummy.

This is pretty cinnamony but I am a cinnamon lover, so if you're not a huge cinnamon fan, cut it back to 1/2 teaspoon.

Serves two and makes for one deliciously autumny morning!

5 comments:

Mihl said...

Before I read it on the ppk I had never heard about pumpkin butter. Is it sweet like jam?

Jeni Treehugger said...

I gotsta get me some Pumpkin Butter!

allularpunk said...

i love putting pumpkin butter in my oatmeal! it is also good, quite simply, on toast. or! i also subbed some for some missing apple butter in cupcakes this weekend. so versatile, haha..

erica said...

Mmmm. Y'know, that sounded amazing until I read "flax seeds" - now it's necessary. I've become addicted to Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain oatmeal-type substance. This must happen.

My not-a-robot confirmation nonsense word is "oonksbbq" - ha!

Nicole said...

This makes me want to overcome my fear of mushy oatmeal. Mmm.