Thursday, October 30, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 30: And I wonder why I have no grocery money




So, I got a totally rockin' haircut the other day from Tanya of piratesalon.net, and my hair is now red-tastically awesome. Naturally, I want to make sure I take good care of my fancy new mane, so I went out in search of color-safe hair products. Unfortunately, all the Walgreens-type brands are pretty un-vegan - most of them have glycerin, and if they don't, they probably test on animals anyway (Cough, Garnier Fructis, cough. I have an inquiry to back that one up). So Tanya had recommended PureOlogy - and I had also remembered my sister and I finding out that they were vegan when we were at the hair salon in our hometown. I looked them up online, and found that yes, they were in fact, vegan. So says the PureOlogy website:

"Our commitment is to make the finest prestige products that are good for you and safe for the environment. Our 100% vegan formulas contain absolutely no animal ingredients and are biodegradable. Our containers are recyclable wherever possible and all PureOlogy products are created with respect for future generations."

And then it says on my bottle at the very bottom:

"100% vegan - This Formula is Not Tested on Animals."

Satisfying! So, with the convenient salon locator on their website, I walked a few blocks down the street to a salon and picked up some (don't get me wrong, I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, I just got what was recommended :P) basic hydrating shampoo and conditioner for hair that's been colored. Awesome, right?



OH GOD. Not so much. Expensive! And that was for these two wimpy little bottles...there had better be some goddamn black holes in there, from whence vegan shampoo comes a-spewing.
Look how sad I am! I have spent half an entire paycheck on my hair!



But that's alright - it's my own money, and I want to keep my awesome hair awesome, and this way I can do it in a most vegan and sustainable fashion.

So where is the food part of this entry? Well, there isn't one, really. But I'm totally making Golden Crispy Tofu from Nava Atlas' Vegan Express tonight.

12 comments:

Dan said...

i think thats kind of wackyyyy

my gf and i just go to our local food co-op, and buy bulk shampoo and conditioner (ours has like 4 or 5 of each, all vegan)

cheapy cheap too

herbstsonne said...

Your hair is so super hawt!!! But yeah look into getting something cheaper lol. ;)

Kelly said...

yeah, I just figured though, I was already there, and had made a special request for the stuff...and I really like the brand!

Mihl said...

Your hair looks super cook and it reminds me of the days when my hair was as red as yours.

Kelly said...

Thaaaaaaaaaanks so much :D When was yours red? I really enjoy the change...

pavotrouge said...

ah, I want red hair again, too, mine is almost all grown out. and I thought my Lush shopping splurges were expensive!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I feel your pain! I went to a local salon to grab my (vegan) conditioner & it was $27! ugh.

kismet said...

next time, get lush solid shampoo bars... they're great, and lots cheaper :)

TheUnsilenced said...

Jeez, that sucks! I hate when companies overprice their products like that, taking advantage of those who don't want to buy mean products. I tried the "no-poo" thing with my hair, but it didn't work out too well for me (I’ve got an oily scalp). I also have difficulty finding vegan shampoo; we moved, and now our local stores are extremely limited in choices. I recently came across some vegan shampoo at Marsh called "Naked Naturals," which was on sale for I think $6, but the original price is $9, which isn’t bad at all compared to $32 per bottle. I checked their site, and they’ve got conditioner for color-treated hair:

http://www.nakednaturals.com/shopnaked.php

They also show a list of stores that carry it (Marsh isn’t listed for some reason), so you might have some luck finding it locally. I love the citrus shampoo--it makes my hair smell like candy! :P

PS: I couldn’t help but notice the “V For Vendetta” poster! :D

girl least likely to said...

what a coincidence! i just tried pureology for the first time, a week or two ago. i've been using aveda-only in my hair for at least 8 years now, and i love it, but my stylist's partner brought pureology into the salon so she tried it on my hair the last time i was in. i liked it a lot; it smells delicious and my hair seemed to behave nicely... but even she said, "it's nice, and it's all vegan (most of aveda is, but not all)... but it's even more expensive than aveda!" heh. i'm toying with the idea of switching just because i like the idea of an all-vegan brand, but i want to do some direct price comparisons first on the things i'd actually use. i love aveda, so i don't really have a great reason to switch anyway.

Kelly said...

Yeah! Doesn't it smell nice? Hah! Yeah, if it turns out well I may try shopping around to see if I can find better prices somewhere else...(ebay!) Otherwise I might try some suggestions vegans have offered here.

HollywoodVeg said...

Re: Pureology: they are now owned by L'Oreal who does conduct animal testing. Also, the quality dropped significantly. I use Jonathan now.