Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Passionfruit & Sugar Beat Sweets






Passionfruit 3


I had a fun experience yesterday: I tried a passionfruit for the first time! My boss at my new job is nice enough to order us all a box of fruit from The Fruit Guys every other week, which is a nice change from the candy and crap (most of it not vegan) sitting in the kitchen. This week I was amazing to pick up this light, yet hard-shelled fruit, wondering what in the name of Buddha it could be. I picked up the enclosed newsletter to find out it's a passionfruit, which is native to South America, is ripe when the skin is slightly shriveled, and is a good source of vitamin A, potassium, and fiber. It's eaten best when cut in half and scooped out with a spoon.


Passionfruit 2


WOW, they are so amazingly delicious. There's these little tendrils inside, and each tendril has a seed (I think) and a little yellow pocket of juiciness and a little fruit (click photo for closer view). They taste sour but also sweet, and are really weird to look at but fun to eat. The juice stains really easily (which is why you should always bring a cloth napkin with you to work - not paper, silly!), and they require a little work, but they are so good. I ate both of the passionfruit in the box (shh, tell no one), I liked them that much. And they're so pretty!


Passionfruit 1


One of the things I've missed most about Oregon (other than friends and Cafe Yumm, of course) is the vegan mini-mall in P-town which houses the wonderful and delightful Sweetpea Bakery. Just the thought of their bagels and the blueberry muffins and those chocolate muffins with the cream "cheesy" tops are making me hangry (hangry = when you're so hungry, you're angry...thank my BFF Morgan for that one). I've been lamenting the fact that there seems to be no vegan bakery in the bay area. I've found one place nearby that does one vegan cake, which will come in handy when I have to order a cake for my birthday at work in January, but still...I miss supporting a vegan business.

My Wednesday started off amazingly, however, when I read that Melisser of The Urban Housewife started up a vegan bakery in San Francisco! Ladies and gentlemen, Sugar Beat Sweets, now providing local SF businesses with delicious vegan confections! Can't wait!

415-834-5950
info@sugarbeatsweets.com
For wholesale inquiries, please contact: wholesale@sugarbeatsweets.com

Where to find Sugar Beat Sweets in San Francisco:
Rainbow Grocery- 1745 Folsom @ 14th Street
Other Avenues- 3930 Judah Street @ 44th Avenue
Real Food Co.- 2140 Polk @ Broadway
Urban Bread- 3901 18th St @ Sanchez
Mojo Bicycle Cafe- 639-A Divisadero St @ Hayes
Harvest Urban Market- 191 8th St @ Howard

1 comment:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

My husband's office gets fruit from "The Fruit Guys" & tried Passion fruit for the first time this way as well! How funny!

Thank you so much for writing about Sugar Beat Sweets! We do birthday cakes as well. ;)