Friday, September 12, 2008

Brunch



I don't know about you, but I simply cannot wait for Isa's upcoming brunch cookbook, The Crack of Noon. I don't know if my greedy brunch-loving tummy can wait until Spring of oh-nine, but I can appease its grumblings by trolling the Vegan with a Vengeance (and friends) Flickr photo pool for tantalizing peeks at testers' results.

Working weekdays again has made me re-appreciate weekend breakfasts, which usually end up being brunch, because by the time we roll out of bed, it's 10am or 11am. I love the incredibly versatility in food types and flavors that one gets to play with at brunch: sweet, savory, chewy, crunchy, fruity, herby, spicy (my new obsession), creamy, fluffy, and always always nommable.

Here's some of our latest brunchy-type meals:

Tempeh Bacon (VwaV)
Marinating tempeh bacon


Jalepeno corn cakes (YRR)
Jalepeno Corn Cakes from Yellow Rose Recipes

Dressed up with black beans, avo, salsa, and a little Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream. Delicious and oh-so-difficult to not eat the lot of them in one sitting.

Tofu scramble (VwaV) and fresh pears
Tofu scramble (VwaV) and fresh pears

We have a lovely little balcony in our new place, to our great satisfaction (which is about the ONLY nice thing about our new place...rarr...), complete with a cute little tile-topped table left by the previous tenant. You would think from these photos that I put avocado slices on everything...and you'd be right.

Breakfast of champions
Apple-cinnamon swirl pancakes, fried potatoes, fresh fruit, and braised figs off the the side there

Breakfast of champions! My pancakes didn't come out as beautifully as Susan's did, but they tasted EXCELLENT, and have achieved 'favorite pancake EVER' status in the Meg-JP household. This lovely meal was created for us and Kelly who came across the bay to visit last weekend. :3

Happy brunching, everyone!

Also, just to clarify my last post a little: I'm not trying to imply there's a vegan and non-vegan way to vote. I'm saying that veganism is about reducing suffering, and if you're all about reducing suffering, well...voting for some who thinks that war with Russia 'may be necessary' and uses racist slurs might not be the way to go.

1 comment:

Mihl said...

Oh, please don't talk about the brunch book again :) I cannot wait to, but in the meantime I could come over to your place, right?