Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Beuna Balsamic Roasted Veggies



It's amazing to me that omnis think we're somehow dissatisfied and hungry all the time. They couldn't be more wrong. How could one be dissatisfied when all of this...


Beuna Balsamic Roasted Veggies
Beets, onion, red & yellow cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, string beans, eggplant, zucchini, & garlic

...turns into this...


Beuna Balsamic Roasted Veggies


...with just some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and the help of the oven? This is a relatively cheap meal as well, especially if you can shop at a farmer's market and get veggies at a fair price! You could really add almost any vegetable that could withstand roasting to this, we've also added golden beats and yellow squash. One could add any variety of potatoes, squash, portabello mushrooms, parsnips, carrots, herbs..the possibilities are endless.

I call this "Beuna Balsamic Roasted Veggies" because the first time I had this was at the dig house in Beuna, Germany, where we would tromp back after a long day digging in the sun (or thunderstorm, as the case may be), starving and cranky, and two very hardworking folk would cook up dinner for 15-20 people and make us all very very happy. My friends Jess and Nick from Britain were the ones that concocted this, and served it with pasta and an amazing homemade red sauce. I decided to serve it with whole wheat couscous (from Trader Joe's) with sweet plump raisins, as a contrast to the acidic, earthy flavors of the veggies.


Beuna Balsamic Roasted Veggies
Another meal enjoyed on our balcony


I am a lucky lucky girl: the zucchini, beets, onion, and string beans all came from my mother's and grandmother's gardens. :) I <3 being back in California!!

4 comments:

Mihl said...

You should rename the veggies into balcony roasted veggies. They look really fantastic, I think every omni will be jealous. How great that you can still sit outside on the balcony. We have around 10°C here :(

T said...

I make roasted veggies all the time, but I've never added beets before, yum! This makes me so happy fall is here.

allularpunk said...

omnis are silly, they don't know how awesome we all are, obviously. your blog rocks, btw!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I loooove roasted veggies. I wish I could say the same for my husband!