Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Quickest Way to a Man's Heart...



Okay, I'm sorry, but I'm going to subject you all to my squealing! I made this killer cake for my friend's birthday (specifically, Isa's Raspberry Blackout Cake) and it turned out amazingly. I don't know if vegan cooking makes matters more difficult for me, or maybe I've just never been too great of a cook to begin with, but it's honestly the tastiest thing I've ever baked. It probably doesn't help that I grew up with cake mixes where all you have to do is add eggs and butter and voila, instant deathcake. Making a great cake from the ground up (AND the frosting!) makes me feel really good. I think I didn't let the frosting soften up enough because it kind of mixed in with a lot of the raspberry preserves on the top of the cake, but meh, you couldn't really tell from looking at it. And it was kind of a squat/lumpy cake (due to my not-so-expert frosting skills) but hey, I'm pretty sure the taste is more important.



I put a shamrock on the top (yeah, I know it looks like hearts) because my friend Kevin looks like/is a crazy irishman. I had to make it personal somehow!
I brought a piece to one of the teachers in the fine art building. He really, really, really liked it. Like, inhaled it before mine very eyes. Knowing FULL well that it was vegan - because I TOLD him. And then he offered me homework help anytime! Baked vegan shit gets you places, man.

5 comments:

e said...

baked vegan shit totally gets you places. the cake is gorgeous! take that to the bank - I worked at a bakery for quite a while and am no slouch on the cakeration as such.

noice, says I.

e said...

point of order, baked goodies are the quickest way to -anyone's- heart.


mmm. heart.

veganomnom said...

Haha! Yeah, seems like it really works - every time I bake something everyone always om-noms it before I even have the chance to mention that it's vegan. :)

e said...

Ha - same story with my ginger apple cookies (Meg's got the recipe, fyi.) I took some to work and shocked my coworkers with the deliciousness.

ALLISON-by-the-sea said...

Baked vegan shit gets you places, man.


Amen to that.